This fortified medieval village, founded in 1167, rests close to the Spanish border in southern Portugal’s Alentejo region. Set on a hill above the Guadiana River, this atmospheric hamlet seems straight out of a fairy tale, with its cobbled alleyways and 14th-century castle. It also has an ancient church, the Igreja Matriz de Santa Maria do Castelo, home to an elaborate 13th-century tomb and an interesting adjoining religious museum. The surrounding area is dotted with historical and archaeological sites, such as the mysterious Menhir of Outeiro, a megalithic column measuring almost six metres in height. A short drive to the west lies the tiny town of São Pedro do Corval, renowned for its beautiful pottery.